Friday, June 26, 2009

my fun friend called tom




Well, here's a little story about how when you're not looking for something it comes to find you. Let me explain... a little over a month ago I was very content with how my life was rolling from day to day. I have only dated two boys seriously in the past and was not looking for another relationship. At all. I was happy with going to work, coming home, and spending the rest of my time at home, slightly obsessed with my favorite TV drama "Bones", hanging out with Cort or my Mom, visiting my G&G everyday after work.. life was easy and I was happily truckin along. .. and then everything started to take a turn.. so here's the story from the beginning - well my side of it at least. (wink)

A week or so before Mother's Day I was asked to give a talk in church ON Mother's Day. I said yes, of course, love to.. or something of the sort.. and went ahead and starting writing my talk. My mom wanted me to call back and tell them that I couldn't.. it being Mother's Day and all she wanted us all to be home. However, I decided that I should just go ahead and speak. I could use the blessings, right? (haha) So Sunday comes and it wasn't any different than any other Sunday so far. Then it's my turn to speak. I got up, gave my talk, and sat down at the end. As I was walking down the aisle to get outside.. (all I was really thinkin about was the BBQ going on at Grandma and Grandpa Valk's house with the whole family,) this boy jumps out of the row a couple pews behind mine and says "Oh, I really enjoyed your talk!" I said thank you or something to that effect.. and kept walking out. I truly didn't think anything about this boy - I just thought he was being really polite.

A day goes by and I got a message through Facebook.. it was this boy called Tom asking if I was going bowling or to institute or to FHE.. I told him no and probably four or five excuses later, I agreed to go Wednesday Night bowling with all the YSA's. We bowled on the same lane and then at the end of the night he asked for my number. Honestly, I was a little hesitant to give it to him because I was honestly so fine with where my life was at! I gave it to him, and a couple days later he asked me out! I said I'd love to go, and really I thought it would be fun! This is where my Utah trip came in and I left for the weekend. I had a blast in Utah and Idaho, enjoyed the drive there and back, and really, just the entire trip was a blast and a half. The Saturday I came home was Tom's and my first date. Before the date I was in such a negative mood! I didn't want to go, I was being such a "Debbie Downer" over the whole idea.. why? I don't really know, I guess I was just being a lame face.

Tom came and picked me up, we drove to Turlock to a bird/fish park.. can't really remember the name of it.. He brought along a loaf of bread and we fed the birds, ducks, and fish. It was a really nice evening. He brought out a picnic and the entire date was just a load of fun. I was very pleasantly surprised. From that night till now is kind of a blur. Sometimes I stop to think about all of the things we've done and talked about since then and it really takes my breath away! YSA activities, dances, luau's, bowling, star gazing, swimming, soccer, cha cha dancing, softball, Sequence, 24, car washing, crazy accents, countless laughs, a few tears, painting, and carpet cleaning ;) It is almost impossible for me to comprehend the fact that a month ago this boy called Tom meant so little to me.We hang out just about everyday. He is a load of fun. He's so funny.

Things I like about Tom: He is nice. Tom is probably one of the top 3 nicest people I have met in my entire life. He is selfless and happy. He is kind and gentle and he is so respectful. Tom takes charge of situations that are failing. He is such a big example to me. He's not afraid of doing the right thing. He's brave and cute. He makes me laugh. He's involved in life. He has goals and he's working so hard to make them a reality. He makes sense. He's a hard worker and doesn't quit until the job is done. He's creative and so sweet I'm sure I'm getting cavities! (haha) He speaks up and takes control of situations that could get awkward or dangerous. He humors me and not only puts up with my crazy moments but he joins in too! He pops my back perfectly, and gives whoa good massages. Tom is solid in his beliefs. He isn't ashamed or afraid standing for what he feels and believes is right. He puts things into perspective for me and he just makes sense.

I don't know why things have happened the way they have. I don't know how I found something and someone so good when I wasn't looking or ready for something to change my life around so wonderfully. I don't know how so many things fell into place to make this transition feel so natural and perfect. I guess what it comes down to is I don't care how things fell into place or why they have, I'm just glad they did.

1 comment: