Monday, July 27, 2009

i lost my heart in san francisco!



It's getting late and I have no idea why I am still awake. I must have a lot on my mind so I decided to play catch-up and write a blog about this last week. Can I just say.. YAY for having Paid Time Off!! talk about greatest idea EVER! this past week was my week of PTO. This means I get paid 5 hours everyday of this week for getting to do what I want to do when I want to do it. And what did we decide to do? More like what didn't we do?
.
Tom and I started off our week visiting San Francisco. I will admit - there has always been a small part of my ambitious side of me that has wanted to live in a big city - for just a short period of time - just to say I had the experience of the daily hustle and bustle. I think there is a little bit of glory and respect due to the person who fights through the crowds on the way to work or the market or home wherever the case may be. I find the thought of city life very exciting - that is when I'm not apart of it. Living in Oakdale and our little two-lane roads can leave much to be desired for - that is, until I venture out to the big city and am reminded of why I feel so comfortable in these small town streets. Here are a couple reasons why I prefer Oakdale over San Francisco.
.

Reason #1: Plexi-glass teller windows at Wells Fargo.
Tom and I saw a massive Wells Fargo Bank on Market Street. We decided to go in there to see what it was like and to deposit a check that Tom had. We walked in - security guard at the front door. Thick plexi-glass spread across the entire teller-line. Very, very different from Oakdale's comfortable, very open lobby. Where they have marble floors we have worn out and traffic-tread carpet stains. They have crystal chandeliers and we have attractive florescent boxes that burn out once every couple of weeks. As off the wall as it may sound, I really missed Oakdale's little quirks over the luxury of the San Francisco branch.
.
Reason #2: Protesters.
As Tom and I were walking to Chinatown there were a couple "Prop 8 Protesters" on either side of the sidewalks trying to get signatures to again overturn what we have already voted on. Twice. As we approached one specific man - let's call him Arnold for this story - I doubt that was his real name, but I don't know any Arnold's, so this can't offend any of my friends - he stuck out his clipboard in front of us and says to us, "Would you like to help us over turn Prop 8?" Tom just looked at him, and said, "No we would not." Arnold just looked at us and I said "We've already voted on Prop 8" and Arnold said, "Well yeah! I think everybody has." He sounded a bit perturbed. Tom and I went on with our way. As we were walking a little bit further away Tom and I started talking to each other about how it's crazy that we have voted, as a people, to keep the definition of marriage what it is today. Why do they keep trying to undo what we have voted into place? I have nothing, absolutely nothing against anybody who chooses to love another person. I will never try and stop anyone from love. However, to me it's the principle of the issue. It's what I believe God's law to be over what man thinks it should be. How grateful I am for the direction of a latter-day prophet and a loving Heavenly Father.
.

Reason #3 Parking.
Parking is atrocious. Street meters are crazy. 1 nickle will give you 1 measly minute. 1 dime will get you 2 precious minutes. and 1 quarter will give you a whopping 6 minutes. No joke. Oh, and be careful not to put in more coins than 1 hour adds up to be. Because if you do it doesn't notice the extra coins as minutes, but it sure will take them from you. How lame. Oh, and if you choose to not sit at a parking meter, you can always pay the "$18.00 All Day Parking Pass" Psh, you kidding me? Talk about dumb.
.

I can remember going to San Francisco in the 7th grade and walking around this crazy big city with some friends of mine.. we walked through the streets of Chinatown, into an alleyway.. and into this whole in the wall fortune cookie shop. I have thought about going back there ever since... So Tom and I went to Chinatown, found and found the alleyway that made fresh fortune cookies. We bought 3 bags. We love love love fortune cookies. Even though I know the fortunes really aren't real, I find a great sense of satisfaction and excitement when one of them says something that I want to hear. Why do we do that to ourselves? When one is lame or doesn't apply I throw it away. "Be careful with that business travel to India" Who thought up that one?? C'mon, that was my fortune?? However, when one tells me that "People admire you for your greatness" or "A romantic surprise is coming your way" I will save it and set it somewhere I can see it as to remind myself that I have a good fortune. What a silly kid I am. Or maybe dumb is a better word. Oh well, I think it's fun anyway. I like it... and crazy as it may sound, Tom and I were opening the most "in tune" fortune cookies ever! It was crazies! We bought shirts to remind us of our amazing adventures in Chinatown.. and at $1.88 a piece how could we pass that up?

.
After Chinatown Tom and I went to Pier 39. Can I quickly just give a shout out to Tom's excellent navigation skills?? I tell ya, he found his way everywhere! I know he didn't plan on it.. I'm not entirely sure the most skilled taxi driver that ever lived, that grew up on the streets of San Francisco could have found his way so perfectly. I'm still not sure how Tom found his way so well, but he did and I'm grateful!! At Pier 39 we found a nice quaint little place to eat our lunch. We sat right next to the window that overlooked the docks. It was quite the view. My clam chowder was so delicious. We walked the Pier and had the loveliest of little chats. We took lots of pictures, walked in and out of the shops, and had the best of times. It was picture perfect.

After the Pier Tom again found his way through the confusing criss-cross San Francisco streets and took us to Haight/Ashbury. This is supposedly where the Hippie movement began. It was a whole new world there. So many homeless and free spirited people. It made me feel bad that so many people truly lack real direction in their lives. Tom and I also went to the Golden Gate Bridge Park. It was so beautiful. It was really breezy, pretty chilly, and very romantic. As the night was coming to a close we decided to head back home before it got any later. As we drove away from the city we could see the temple straight ahead of us. It struck me again then, as it has many times before, how beautiful the temple is. The promise that it holds if we live worthy of it's blessings. There is so much confusion in the world - it's looking desperately for some sort of a leader - a light in the darkness. Unfortunately they can't see the truth for what it is. It's there for the taking. I'm so thankful for the knowledge and the testimony I have of what the temple stands for.


We finished up our San Francisco get away with some In and Out. It was delish of course! This day was perfect and magical. It's hard to believe that I can get along so perfectly with any person. Tom really does make me feel so important and safe. The best part of this day was walking the crazy bustling streets, and feeling rock solid and steady with Tom there beside me. Standing at the edge of the pier and Tom telling me he loves me - but more than hearing him say those words was the way I felt those words in my heart. There are few moments I have had in my life that surpass that one.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you had so much fun and I'm seriously jealous of your happiness! I love you!

    ReplyDelete